Today marks the much-anticipated release of The Hunger Games movie. If you’re like me, you’ve lost sleep reading the book into the wee hours of the morning, at the expense of the next day’s productivity. You’ve fretted about Katniss’ injuries. You’ve mourned the loss of Rue. You were secretly satisfied when the tracker jackers killed those dumb bitches. You’ve pondered a future where Panem was real. Worst of all, you’ve wondered: Gale or Peeta? Well, perhaps that wasn’t the worst for you, but I’m a romantic.
And now, it’s time to relive all that anguish on the silver screen. Better have a drink ready! Better yet, get a group so you’re not drinking alone. Or sneak a few into the theater.
As our tribute to Katniss, here are our Hunger Games-inspired cocktails picks:
- Deadly Nightshade — the dark color and blackcurrant flavor of this cocktail makes this a precursor to one made of post-apocalyptic Nightlock berries.
- Death By Fire — because Katniss almost did…
- Golden Dream — this bright drink exemplifies the riches in the Capitol.
- Mint Julep — a throwback to the Appalachian origins of District 12.
- Wicked Sky — every night, images of the dead tributes were projected in the sky above the arena. That’s pretty freakin’ wicked.
- The Mockingjay — the odds are definitely in your favor with this sweet, bright cocktail.
Of course, you can follow Haymitch’s example and spike all your drinks with vodka, or just drink it straight.
Image courtesy of 80millionmoviesfree.com.