Outside Lands descends on, well the “Outside Lands” of San Francisco for the 4th time this Friday thru Sunday – August 12 – 14. The festival, held in Golden Gate Park is bigger and better this year having added EcoLand, DJ Dome, Freak/Comedy Tent (The Barbary) and a ton more food and wine. Food is scattered through out the the entire venue, so you are never far from some eats. They have even created a few specialty food areas in McLaren Pass including The Food Truck Forest, Chocolands, and the Mission. While music may be the main attraction, the food selection will give it a for their money. I mean, 4505 Meats is serving their famous bacon studded hot dogs and chicharonnes, that’s music to my ears!
Why are we writing about this? As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program we were asked to come up with some Food, Wine and Music pairings based on the acts, food and wine purveyors present. (oh yeah, and we got a pass to the festival. My 17 year old nephew can thank me now.)
Editors note: We are going with a very unscientific method of pairing.
Picking out one or two pairings was very hard as there will be 50 plus local food vendors, 30 plus wineries (over 100 wines!) and whole mess o’ bands. Also, I didn’t have and of the food or wine to actually pair with the music. So to simplify, I picked a band and some food I thought would be good to eat while listening to their set. Enjoy!
NOLA in EssEff
- Band: New Orleans Klezmer All-Stars
- Food: Shrimp Po’ Boy – Criolla Kitchen and Deep Fried Kosher Pickles – Those Fabulous Frickle Brothers
- Wine: Summer of Riesling
- Band: John Fogerty
- Food: Fried Chicken, Mac n Cheese, Heirloom Watermelon slices, Mini Pecan Pie, Red Velvet Cupcake – Farmer Brown’s Little Skillet (I hope they have it all!)
- Wine: West Sonoma Vintners
- Bonus: Philz Coffee (for the Pie, Cake or both)
Traveling with the Band
- Band: Phish
- Food: Burritos, chicken, beef, carnitas – Gordos Taqueria (so hard to choose!)
- Wine: Cerveza or “Mexican Cocktails” (err Margaritas most likely) over at the Mission.
*note I could have paired Phish with some of the amazing fish/seafood dishes that will be on hand. I refrained. You’re welcome.
** Yes, there are burritos at the Mission, but I’ll take Gordo’s any day.
How would you pair these bands and food? Let us know in the comments.