This Holiday season, the folks at Newcastle Brown Ale enlisted noted TV chef ”Sam the Cooking Guy“ (a.k.a. Sam Zien) to author a Holiday Survival Guide. Known for his edgy, humorous no muss, no fuss approach to cooking, Sam gives holiday entertainers all the ammo they need to prepare spicy cocktails, barbecued turkey, Newcastle-infused dessert and much more.
“Everyone is familiar with the challenges of holiday travel, jam-packed family time and the busy shopping season,” said Bill Wetmore, customer marketing director for Scottish & Newcastle Importers. “We think this campaign is a fun, humorous way to show consumers that it is possible to keep their sanity intact, as long as they’ve got great food, lots of entertainment and of course, Newcastle Brown Ale.”
Here’s one of Sam’s recipe’s from the guide:
Mixed Turkey Jambalaya
Makes 8-10 servings.
The cool part is this can be made in a rice cooker, and then left for a long time. You put it together and then go out – and when you come back after a day of whatever” it’s still hot and great. Plus, it’s the perfect thing to do with that after-holiday-dinner turkey you’ve got hanging around. But if you want to know what to do with the relatives that are still hanging around”¦don’t ask me. I’m trying to figure that one out myself.
- 2 cups cooked turkey, shredded or cut into smallish cubes
- 1 pound spicy smoked sausage, fully cooked and cut lengthwise and then into1/4″ half circles
- 1 pound shrimp, raw, peeled and de-veined (31/40s are ideal)
- 1 ½ cups rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- One 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1-6 pack Newcastle Brown Ale, well chilled
- Put all ingredients into rice cooker, mix well and turn on. When the rice cooker goes off – it’s ready.
- No rice cooker? I’d go buy one – but if you just can’t stand the store crowds (and who can?) put everything in a heavy bottomed pot, mix well, cover with a lid and cook on very low until down – about 40 minutes.
- Oh, the Newcastle doesn’t go in the Jambalaya – it goes in you.
The Newcastle Holiday Survival Guide will be available at retailers through New Years.