Created by Chef Brian Bistrong
Prep Time: 10 minutes. Cook Time: 15 minutes. Level: Easy.
4 pieces semi-boneless quail
8 pieces baby turnips, peeled and sliced thinly into rounds
4 pieces scallions, white and green, sliced into 1” pieces
2 tablespoons Maker’s Mark®
2 teaspoons butter
1/3 cup strong chicken stock
Salt and pepper
Zest of ½ lemon
1. Pat the quail dry with a paper towel and then lightly brush with vegetable oil. Season the quail with salt and pepper. Heat the grill/grill pan on high until it is smoking hot. Reduce the heat to medium.
2. Place quail skin side down and grill 1-2 minutes until golden. Turn over and cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove the quail from the pan and allow to rest before cutting each quail in half lengthwise.
3. While quail is resting, heat a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt with no color. Add turnips, season with salt and pepper and cook for a couple minutes, stirring often.
4. Add the Maker’s Mark® and cook off the alcohol. Add chicken stock and reduce slowly. When turnips are tender, finish with scallions and lemon zest.
5. Divide the turnip mixture onto four plates and place two pieces of quail on top of each plate. Sauce with the remaining cooking liquid. Serve immediately.
Recipe created by Chef Brian Bistrong, Bouley Restaurant, New York.