Cocktail Q & A – Tall Drinks

SunshineinMalibu.jpgDear Barkeep,

Is it customary to charge extra when someone orders a “tall” cocktail? I always thought that a tall meant more mix, not more alcohol, so what’s with the extra $? Greed?

Broke Alcoholic

A: This seems to cause quite a bit of confusion and I cannot find a good definition. I have a feeling this varies from bartender to bartender as to what they think a “tall drink” is. Best to let the barkeep know what you are looking for in a tall drink. It may seem less cool, but you won’t be surprised at what you get.

The Barkeep


  1. Profile photo of Angela by Angela, May 13th, 2007 at 7:35 am

    Lets deconfuse – just name it double – a double g&t means, that you get the double amount of alcohol – right?

    Even it doesn’t mean, that only alcohol have a cost! If you want to drink a long drink rather than a cocktail, you could have fresh juices (and other artisan chaser) in the glass – and everything but the cheap-canned-semi-juices-sodas costs money…

  2. by Captain Jean 'The Marauder', November 2nd, 2012 at 2:40 pm

    A typical regular sized glass or also known as a short is 1.5 ounces of alcohol.  A tall is a .5 ounce more totaling 2 ounces of alcohol.  Restaurants usually do not charge more than a dollar extra for a tall if even that much.
    Smarter than the guy above guy