I can hardly believe it’s almost 2012! This awesome end-of-the-year list makes sure that the classics are well-represented with cocktails like the Margarita, Long Island Iced Tea (it is a classic at this point) and the Mai Tai as well as drinks like the Appletini and Flirtini which, contrary to popular belief, aren’t dead. We’re also excited to see that one of our personal favorites, the Sidecar, continues to be a perennial favorite. Plus, this year, we have some new entrants, like the Creamsicle!
Check out the top drinks of 2011:
1. Appletini – a fan favorite. A blend of Vodka and Apple Pucker (but try other Apple Schnapps for an interesting variation on the original).
2. Creamsicle – an adult version of the childhood classic. I like to make the Dreamsicle version (with ice cream) for a tasty after-dinner treat.
3. Sidecar – my personal favorite. One of my first posts on DOTW was an ode to the Sidecar. It’s the perfect blend of Cognac, Cointreau and lime juice (although a number of recipes call for lemon juice, I prefer lime) served with a sugar rim.
4. Bahama Mama – a Caribbean Classic! A blend of rums, coffee liquor and juices. Just thinking about this drink makes me want to hit the beach.
5. Margarita – a true classic! This drink is a riff on it’s older brother, the Sidecar, substituting Tequila for the Cognac. If you ever make it out to San Francisco, try Tommy’s for their famed Margaritas.
6. Orange Crush – an alcoholic version of the soda classic! This drink is so easy to make and always a crowd favorite. Put it on your cocktail menu for the upcoming college football bowl games.
7. Electric Lemonade – this drink screams summer! A slushy blend of Vodka, Blue Curacao, sweet and sour and 7-Up.
8. Long Island Ice Tea – a classic fan favorite. This deadly concoction of spirits and mixers has been a fan favorite since we launched DOTW back in 1999.
9. Mai Tai – king of the Tiki drinks. This incredible drink was invented back in the 1940′s and is beloved by generations of Americans. Spice up your New Year’s Party this year with a tiki theme or have a luau this summer and make the Mai Tai as the crowning glory.
10. Flirtini – a cult classic! This drink debuted on the season finale in the third season of Sex and the City and has been going strong ever since! This fun drink is made with Vodka, Champagne and Pineapple Juice. How could it be bad.
[Photo courtesy of ipadshouse.com]
- Leave a comment with your favorite drink from our list to enter our giveaway!