Rob Roy MacGregor (1670-1734) fought to protect the farmers’ way of life, earning the respect of this fellow Highlanders and a prison sentence for treason. He escaped (several times, actually) and lived the remainder of his life as an outlaw. The Rob Roy cocktail was created in 1894 to celebrate the opening of the Herald Square musical that paid homage to this Scottish folk hero. Courtesy of Dewar’s Scotch Whisky.
Home » Tags » simple syrup
Articles Tagged: simple syrup
Manny Hinojosa, mixologist and bar manager at the Walnut Creek Yacht Club submitted this drink recently. He’s been mixing up some amazing cocktails and this one is no exception. Gin, Campari, fresh strawberry puree, a little lemon juice, simple syrup and of course balsamic vinegar give this cocktail a nice tang and touch of sweet.
It’s Friday, how about some absinthe? Here’s a few fun facts from Lucid.
1. It’s legal! And has been since 2007. Lucid (and Viridian Spirits) lobbied the US government to lift the 95-year ban and now absinthe is sold in all 50 states.
2. Contrary to popular belief, absinthe doesn’t make you hallucinate. This is a popular absinthe myth and is 100% false. Of course, consuming any spirit (especially one with an extraordinarily high proof) … Read more
Simple syrup is a vital part of many cocktail recipes — mojitos, mint juleps and more. It’s the easiest, most reliable way to add a little sweetness to balance your drink.
It’s just sugar and water. (Truly simple, no?) Many recipes that call for muddling sugar or adding a sugar cube can just as easily be made with simple syrup.
Here’s what you do:
Pour equal parts sugar and water into a container with a … Read more
Name your poison! Named after a beautiful but deadly plant, this drink has a dark color that hints at something sinister. But don’t worry, instead of using poisonous flowers or berries, we used black currant juice and black currant liqueur (also known as crème de cassis).
This week we’re giving the classic mojito a Springtime twist! Mixology Monday XXXVIII is being hosted over at the Wild Drink Blog, and the theme is “Superior Twists.” The idea is add a twist to a classic cocktail that sends it over the top of cocktail goodness.
Strawberries and basil make a great combination—each has its own brand of sweetness. The two complimentary flavors are an ideal match for the light and refreshing mojito. What … Read more
Find Drinks by Ingredient
Find Drinks by Occasion
- Show Me the Chocolate
- Last Minute Gift Ideas from Guinness That Help Firefighters
- Deck the Halls with Less-Frizzled Hosts
- Wines That Rock For the Holidays and After
- Happy Repeal Day – aka Cinco de Drinko
This Week's Drink!