The mint julep and the Kentucky Derby have become synonymous, but how and why? The history of the Mint Julep can be traced back to the 1700s on the southern east coast of the United States. Some say it was an evolution of a Arab drink called made of water and rose petals called a Julab. Regardless, the first instance of the Mint Julep in print was in 1803s Travels of Four Years and a … Read more
Home » Tags » New Orleans cocktails
Articles Tagged: New Orleans cocktails
Mardi Gras is next week and here’s a refreshing and light cocktail to get you ready for what lies ahead! The Pimm’s Cup was created in London by James Pimm in the 1840s but was adopted (and adapted) by the city of New Orleans! Here’s the Napoleon House version, which is now a New Orleans classic.
Pimm’s No. 1 is a tea-colored liqueur made with gin. Its said that the traditional version is made with … Read more
It’s Friday, how about some absinthe? Here’s a few fun facts from Lucid.
1. It’s legal! And has been since 2007. Lucid (and Viridian Spirits) lobbied the US government to lift the 95-year ban and now absinthe is sold in all 50 states.
2. Contrary to popular belief, absinthe doesn’t make you hallucinate. This is a popular absinthe myth and is 100% false. Of course, consuming any spirit (especially one with an extraordinarily high proof) … Read more
This week we feature the Creole Julep, a spin on the traditional Mint Julep and the official cocktail of this year’s Tales of the Cocktail.
The cocktail was created by Maksym Pazuniak, a mixologist at Rambla and Cure in New Orleans. This rum-based Julep is made with Clement Creole Shrubb, a unique rum-based orange liqueur from Martinique. It gives this Julep a nice peppery kick with a hint of orange. Created by Maksym Pazuniak, Rambla/Cure.… Read more
This is the original from Pat O’Brien’s in the French Quarter.
Can you say… Mardi Gras!
This should be made in a Hurricane glass, a lantern shaped footed vessel. If you don’t have one, you can use a Bucket or Collins glass. Fill any of them with ice.
1 oz. Light Rum
1 oz. Dark Rum
1/2 oz. Passion Fruit Juice
1/2 oz. Lime Juice
Garnish with a lime squeeze, cherry, pineapple spear,
– and … Read more
Find Drinks by Ingredient
Find Drinks by Occasion
- Show Me the Chocolate
- Last Minute Gift Ideas from Guinness That Help Firefighters
- Deck the Halls with Less-Frizzled Hosts
- Wines That Rock For the Holidays and After
- Happy Repeal Day – aka Cinco de Drinko
This Week's Drink!