This is Mac and Cheese gone wild, or beef brisket gone cheesy. Either way Maker Mark makes it even better!
Ingredients for the Beef:
1.5 lb. beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat
1 quart chicken or beef broth
Salt and pepper
Ingredients for the BBQ Sauce:
2 cups bottled BBQ sauce, preferably Sweet Baby Ray’s Original
1/2 cup Coca-Cola
1/2 cup Maker’s Mark
Ingredients for the Mac and Cheese:
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tbsp. AP Flour
2 cups half and half
1 cup grated smoked cheddar
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
Salt and pepper
1. Rub beef in salt and pepper and let sit out at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. Pat dry and roast in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until beef begins to brown.
3. Remove beef and place in a pot with a lid and add broth.
4. Return to oven and drop oven temp to 300 and cover beef with pot lid. Cook for 3-4 hours or until beef is fork tender
5. Let beef cool in broth overnight. On the second day, remove from the congealed liquid and cut thinly across the grain of the beef. Set aside.
6. Make the BBQ sauce by adding all ingredients to a small pot and let simmer until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
7. To finish the dish, add butter and flour to a large, high sided sauté pan. When it melts, add flour and cook until it just begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add cold half and half and bring to a simmer. Add cooked pasta and cheese, stirring constantly. When sauce emulsifies, add beef and taste for seasoning. Remove from stove top and add extra cheese and breadcrumbs if you like. Spoon BBQ sauce over the top and serve immediately.
created by The Southern Mac Truck
courtesy Maker’s Mark Bourbon Whisky